Friday 9 October 2009

DIY radio astronomy


Well, my plans to build my own radio telescope have been scuppered. Firstly, I don't have the engineering or technological knowledge to know what these 'build you own ham radio' handbooks are talking about. And they're meant to be for amatuers. Also, I wouldn't know where to get half the material. I think it would consume so much of my time just to build this thing and it's only going to be an input into what I actually need to work on.


A great deal harder than it looks...



But the main reason is because an amatuer telescope could only really pick up solar activity anyway. These aren't very interesting sounds. So I can't capture the sounds using my own equipment, but that hasn't put me off. I've come across a site called http://www.radio-astronomy.net/ which streams live sounds from radio telescopes all over the world - which means that for the majority of the time, there's interesting sounds coming through. I think this might have some potential.