Thursday 5 November 2009

Start the hoarding...

Ok, I've got my plan. I am going to write a suite of pieces for a variety of instruments, and some of those pieces will include radio telescope sounds (possibly live, possibly pre-composed). My dissertation is then going to explore my ever-growing list of pieces of music that use astronomy in them. That's going to be tough. I've already started collecting recordings of this music (librrary, itunes, amazon, spotify, even youtube) but I still don't know where to begin, because writing about them chronologically doesn't seem to make any sense.

I've also downloaded some articles and checked out some books on writing about music. Sometimes if I don't like a piece, my humour comes across in the way I write about it and makes it all a bit journalistic - so i'll be civil in my academic writing and vent in this blog instead.